Monday, November 7, 2011

7 Layer Bar

Thank you Brittany O'Connor for making these bars and providing an excellent write up with some great tips! Be sure to read it below :)

The 7 layer bars are a quick and delicious dessert idea for a casual dinner (or in my case, BBQ).  When I first started putting them together, I made sure to pack the graham cracker crumbs in as tightly as possible with the melted butter to ensure that it formed a good solid crust. The amount of chocolate chips and peanut butter chips that the recipe calls for is slightly less than what comes in the standard size bags, so I went ahead and used the whole bag for both!  The sweetened condensed milk over the top cooks into a delicious almost caramel-like texture. It's the type of ingredient that really gives the dessert the "extra something" but your guests can't quite put their finger on what the ingredient is. 

The bars came out great, with one small issue to be aware of.  I left them to cool for several hours before attempting to cut them, which was not quite enough and proved slightly problematic.  The first bar I cut out of the corner did not come out in one piece when I attempted to cut it prior to my guests arriving.  So I popped the pan in the fridge before dinner and then the texture was great for cutting shortly thereafter when I tried again. This would be a perfect dessert for occasions where you need to make something ahead of time, because they get better with a little more time to set.

No comments:

Post a Comment