Thursday, June 30, 2011

Picadillo

While thumbing through A Thyme to Celebrate, looking for a recipe to make this week, I stumbled across this little unique gem, Picadillo. This is one of my husband's all-time favorite items on the menus of Cuban Restaurants. So, I knew we needed to try it, and see if it could be replicated in our own home.

I have to give him all the credit for this one. He was the one chopping and cooking away in the kitchen to prepare this savory dish. I am so lucky to have a husband that likes to cook!


I love that you can make this dish using only two pans (one if you have a rice cooker). I was worried it would be complicated and we’d have a huge mess in the kitchen. To my surprise, this recipe was quick and simple! I guess that is why it is a Cuban staple meal. It could simmer on the stove all day long, and the flavors would only get better and better.


Next time my husband needs a quick Picadillo fix, I will know what to do!  

Tip: The meat will cook faster than the potatoes - that is okay! I got nervous, but it came out just right. Also, if you want this meal to stretch further than the four servings that are suggested, just prepare more rice! Just be sure to follow the directions on how to prepare your yellow rice.

~ Emily

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    I'm a former member of the JLT (transferred to a league in VA last year when my husband and I relocated for work). I make this recipe often and it's delish.
    I will be making the Polynesian Chicken from ATTC tonight. Hope it comes out good.

    ReplyDelete